Existing users, log in.  New users, create a free account.  Lost password?

MacFixIt Logo

Contact Us | About MacFixIt | Who's Online  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#339339 - 03/28/06 09:40 AM FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

#339340 - 06/15/06 08:50 PM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
brucechristy Offline
New User

I recently deleted some backed up videoTS folders (with all thier corresponding .vob files etc.) and then downloaded FileSalvage. It completed its scan and has many file type showing, but nothing like the videoTS folders etc.

Does this application do only file types? Why not folders full of files like the above mentioned scenario.

It took 3 hours to scan my 600GB drive, and I don't see my files which I deleted minutes before... any ideas?

Thanks,

Bruce

#339341 - 06/16/06 09:35 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: brucechristy]
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

Folders are not found by the scan as the folder is nothing more then a reference in the file catalog. At this time VOB files are not currently one of the supported recovery formats. I will pass the information along to the developers and ask it be added in a future version. Sorry we couldn't help.

#339342 - 08/14/06 04:07 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
jdfletcher Offline

What about Filemaker formats other than 5 and 7? Does it recover fp7 files created by Filemaker 8 and 8.5, for instance? Also, how does your product tell whether a file is complete or if there are multiple fragments needing assembly?

#339343 - 11/04/06 05:46 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
dblakey Offline

I also recently deleted some VOB files and purchased FileSalvage thinking that it could recover them as it had recovered some other movie formats.

Do you have ETA on when these file formats will be supported, as at the moment this purchase was a waste of money.

Thanks
David

#339344 - 11/07/06 11:44 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: dblakey]
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

At this time FileSalvage doesn't support VOB files. There are a couple reasons for this. First VOB files are very large most of the time (several gigabytes in size). Because of their large size they are almost always fragmented on the drive meaning only the first fragment of the file is recoverable. Second VOB files also require .IFO and .BPU files to work. In my testing I have found that no other data recovery applications (Data Rescue II, etc) currently recover VOB files either. Sorry for the inconvenience.

#339345 - 12/21/06 01:03 PM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
Blackxacto Offline

You need to support the ability to recover .eps files. We use so many in graphic design. We sometimes do not have the original files we exported out of. John Robinson.

#339346 - 12/22/06 07:40 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: Blackxacto]
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

I'll send the request along to the developers. I would guess that it hasn't been added at this point because it doesn't contain a defined header but we'll see. Thanks for the input.

#339347 - 12/22/06 07:53 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
Blackxacto Offline

Ben, as I have your attention, while the application is recovering, the progress window covers up what I need to see it has found. I may want to stop the recovery if I see Tiff files have been recovered, not needing to recover further file types. So I would suggest get the progress window OFF the interface as far as possible.

Further, what if I only wanted pdf files recovered? Tiff? etc. It would be nice to designate what type of file to recover. The file type headers are too vague. I don't want all documents, just pdf's maybe.

Thanks for your time and attention. John Robinson

#339348 - 12/22/06 09:41 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: Blackxacto]
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

#339349 - 12/22/06 09:44 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
Blackxacto Offline

Perhaps I missed that, sorry, I just thought there were the four or five icons in the lower left portion of the menu. I didn't realize I could designate to recover all TIF files if necessary. Neat. jr

#339350 - 01/04/07 08:48 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
WiFiMan Offline
New User

Hi Ben - I'm running Mac OSX 10.4.8.

I recently managed to mistakenly delete some sent emails when making an adjustment to the Apple Mail junk rules. I managed to find most in the Wastebasket (.emix files) and reimport, but was still missing about 2 months worth. I have therefore purchased FileSalvage in an attempt to recover these files as it says it supports recovery of the Apple Mail .emix files.

I have undergone an expert scan stage and identified what appears to be 10 files associated to Mail. However, these are .txt files and not .emix files as I was expecting. Your guide advises how to get to the stage of recovering these files, but doesn't advise what to do to re-import them into Mail.

I emailed your support centre, but surprisingly Mark Hurlow advised that I could try the latest beta version, as, "We have since improved our emlx recovery capability".

Albeit a quick next day response, I was surprised how succinct this response was: There was no advice as to where we obtain the beta version (I've looked all thru your web site); I still don't know if the beta version will find .emix files and why doesn't it find them if it says it supports .emix??

I too had also suggested that it would help users if we could nominate specific file types to be found on the initial scan (mine took at least 4 hrs to scan everything), but no response from Mark. I note your advice above that you can do this in advanced mode, but I cannot find that advanced mode in the software or the manual??

Or are you saying advanced mode is the ability to just select or deselect between the 4, Audio, Pictorial, Office or Movie based files?

I have now paid $79.00 for software that has not done the job I purchased it for, so can you please give me some advice to help me overcome this problem?

Thank you

Gary

#339351 - 04/24/07 02:37 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
analogueheart Offline
New User

Hi Ben,

I would like to recover some Steinberg Cubase songs. Is this possible using FileSalvage?

#339352 - 04/24/07 07:37 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: analogueheart]
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

At this time Cubase formats are not supported. I will forward the request to the developers though.

#339353 - 06/15/07 01:58 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
Maurice Offline
New User

Hi,

I want to recover a deleted file on my external Hard disk that I have put in the trash. And I have empty the trash

This file is a virtual hard disk file made with Parallels 3.0 ( winxp.hdd) In fact it's a package including tow files ( xxx.xml and xxx.hds)

This file is quite large 20 Go.

Do you see any chance to be able to recover such file with your tool ?

#339354 - 06/15/07 08:21 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: Maurice]
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

Download the free demo of FileSalvage. It will allow you to see if your files can be recovered before purchasing the software. You can download the demo here.

#339355 - 07/05/07 01:52 PM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
gpz272 Offline
New User

Could you look into adding Solid Works .SLDASM and .EPRT

Thanks,

Gian

#339356 - 08/17/07 01:02 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
Hunted Charlie Offline
New User

Please, please, Oh God, please, add a way to get back my entire Aperture library, including metadata. Please.

#339357 - 08/17/07 08:23 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: Hunted Charlie]
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

FileSalvage v6 was just released. In addition to supporting more formats, FileSalvage now allows you to add your own format types. Simply give it a dozen or so examples of the file type and it will add them to the recognized format listing. The only issue I think you may run into is that the Aperture library file is very large and all the file data isn't stored in one contiguous space on the drive but rather fragmented around. If that's the case then it's not likely you will be able to recover it all. Download the free demo version of FileSalvage (make sure to download it and run it from a different drive then you will be recovering from and stop using the drive containing the missing files at once if you haven't already) and give it a try. The feature to add additional file formats can be found under the Expert mode. You can download the demo of FileSalvage here.

#339358 - 09/16/07 11:24 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
janoharper Offline
New User

I selected the file types I wanted (tried this twice). Then all you see is 'Close' - no option to 'Save' the selections. When you hit Close and 'Salvage' you don't know wtf is being salvaged. In the upper right you see the size of the drive volume (in this case 291 GB, but no indication of what type files are being salvaged.

Last night I went through the entire process of salvaging everything and it took 7 hours. Then I 'Saved' the file to pull up after registering. When I purchased the SN and registered I tried to pull up 'Previously Salvaged' and guess what, it wasn't there!

This is not 'User Friendly' yet.

I really need to get this done. Can you help?

Jim

#339359 - 09/16/07 11:46 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: janoharper]
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

When prompted to save the search, select the location you would like to save the search data to and then choose a name for it. You can also select "Save" from the file menu at any time to save your search. To open that search again you will want to go into Expert mode and then select "Open" from File menu and choose the saved search data to load that search.

#339360 - 09/16/07 01:40 PM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
janoharper Offline
New User

Yes, that is exactly what I did and the salvaged file I had saved was not there.

Now I tried to search only free space and only for one type of file, Appleworks. Two hours later it had finished and when I selected a file to 'salvage', the software froze. All I did was to select it, I didn't even get to hit Salvage.

I'm trying to salvage files from a volume that is unmounted because of a system crash of 10.4.10. The drive and volume are seen but unmounted. They don't show up on my desktop.

I'll wait until tonight and try again to scan the entire drive. Tomorrow morning maybe it will be finished scanning and I'll try again.

I have version 6.0. Is that the latest? Or maybe the download was corrupted in some way? It really seems buggy to me. Is this thing refundable??

Edited by janoharper (09/16/07 01:42 PM)

#339361 - 09/16/07 01:57 PM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: janoharper]
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

Version 6.0 is the most recent version.

#339362 - 02/02/08 08:31 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
al1776 Offline
New User

A friend of mine deleted a folder of In Design files. She bought File Salvage and ran it and she writes:

"Many files were recovered and they show the InDesign CS2 Icon, however, when I try to open any of them they tell me that a "Cannot open the fie "9433.indd" Adobe Design may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application." However, no plugins have been changed, so I do not know where to go from here."

Can anyone help.

Thanks,
Al

#339363 - 02/03/08 12:39 PM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: al1776]
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

Chances are that the files recovered were fragmented throughout the drive and not in one contiguous space so the software was able to find the start of the file, but not the end or entire file. If that's the case then the other part of the file cannot be recovered as there is no reference kept as to where it is located.

#339364 - 02/03/08 01:31 PM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
al1776 Offline
New User

In reply to:

Chances are that the files recovered were fragmented throughout the drive and not in one contiguous space so the software was able to find the start of the file, but not the end or entire file. If that's the case then the other part of the file cannot be recovered as there is no reference kept as to where it is located.

In other words... there is no recovery possible. Oh dear.

Thanks Ben. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Al

#339365 - 02/06/08 01:05 PM Quicken Support? [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
n_allegro Offline
New User

We're trying to recover some Quicken files using File Salvage and haven't had any luck. Do recent versions of File Salvage support this format (we're using 4.2.3)? Would it be possible to add support for Quicken files if we got the latest File Salvage?

Thanks so much,
Nathan

#339366 - 02/06/08 01:17 PM Re: Quicken Support? [Re: n_allegro]
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

#339367 - 04/15/08 04:30 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: DataRecoveryGuru]
wildcat67 Offline
New User

The list of file types referenced as recoverable in the documentation that came with FileSalvage, TurboTax was listed. But it is not on your list and I have been unable to recover tax files in this format.

#339368 - 04/15/08 09:14 AM Re: FileSalvage Supported Recoverable File Formats [Re: wildcat67]
DataRecoveryGuru Offline
MacJournalist

What version of TurboTax are you using? I've tested it with 2007 and 2006 and it works fine. If FileSalvage isn't finding any TurboTax documents, they may have been overwritten.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

VersionTracker: Software Updates and Downloads | iPhone Atlas: iPhone Help, News, Tutorials, and Tips