Create a music note font to use in Word

Posted by: tombond1

Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/26/08 05:36 AM

I am a musician and I want to use in Word email text messages, a special font similar to the two notes joined by a beam (eighth notes) used in the icon for iToons. I just want the notes, nothing else. Is that out there somewhere, so that I can just install it as a special font in Word? Does it already exist? How would I do it?
Posted by: Bob82xrp

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/26/08 07:05 AM

Googling brings up lots of options for musical notation fonts, but if all you want is that one glyph, see the last paragraph of this web page. In the Unicode character palette, it's under "Miscellaneous Symbols".
Posted by: dkmarsh

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/26/08 07:35 AM

In System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu, in the scrollable list, put a check in the checkbox next to Character Palette. Then at the bottom of the pane itself put a check next to Show input menu in menu bar. (This is all assuming you don't currently have the Input Menu displayed, and the Character Palette listed in it.)

Now choose Character Palette from the Input Menu. Choose All Characters in the View pop-up menu, click the disclosure triangle next to Symbols in the left-hand pane, then click Miscellaneous Symbols. At the bottom of the right-hand pane you'll find a quarter note, an eighth note, beamed eighth notes and beamed sixteenth notes, as well as flat, natural and sharp signs. (Sundry clefs, fermata and a few related items are found in Musical Symbols, too.)

I'm not at all knowledgeable about fonts, languages, and encodings, and as I don't have Word I can't experiment, but with both TextEdit and NeoOffice, these characters can be dragged out of the Character Palette window and dropped at the current insertion point in the word-processor document. (Hint: with the character you want to insert highlighted in the Character Palette window, click the disclosure triangle next to Font Variation at the bottom of the Character Palette pane, and choose Containing selected character in the Collections pop-up menu; you'll see a table of all fonts which include that symbol, and how the symbol appears in each of those fonts.)
Posted by: rahja

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/26/08 12:03 PM

if you have any music notation programs installed on your computer, such as Finale or Sibelius, you'll already have some music fonts installed.

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/26/08 02:40 PM

Roger
Yes, thanks. I have BOTH Sibelius and Finale installed. The trick is how to transfer that (or any) font over to accessibility via Word. I just want to be able to personalize some of my emails with a "musical" signature.

I'll go to work tonight and see if I can put to good use the great, helpful answers to my query.
Thanks again. tombond1

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/26/08 02:49 PM

Thank you! I should have my musical "signature" for my emails by tonight.

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/26/08 02:52 PM

Hi
This is the kind of hand-holding that I needed. I knew there'd be some smart person SOMEWHERE, who knew how to do this. No way I could have figured this out by myself.
Thanks.

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/26/08 04:07 PM

Yeah, man. Here it is! ♫

Thanks
Posted by: Hal Itosis

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/27/08 06:23 PM

&#9835; <-- when they get this BBS software to display unicode properly,
then that will appear as two beamed eighth notes.

[it works in the preview mode... but not when posted. unbelievable.]
Posted by: MG2005

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/28/08 12:35 PM

"Now choose Character Palette from the Input Menu. Choose All Characters in the View pop-up menu . . . "

Sorry . . . no such option in LEOPARD that I can find.
Posted by: dkmarsh

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/28/08 04:24 PM

You don't have a View menu at the top of the Character Palette window, or you don't have an All Characters choice in the View menu?

It's there in my Leopard installation. crazy
Posted by: jchuzi

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/28/08 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2005
"Now choose Character Palette from the Input Menu. Choose All Characters in the View pop-up menu . . . "

Sorry . . . no such option in LEOPARD that I can find.
I have that. If it isn't showing, click the clear button at the top right of the Character Palette window.
Posted by: MacManiac

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/28/08 04:31 PM

In Leopard, choose "Show Character Palette" then click on the "View" pull down menu to select "All Characters".....
Posted by: MG2005

Re: Create a music note font to use in Word - 12/30/08 05:34 PM

"Now choose Character Palette from the Input Menu . . ."

Solved.

Clearing up the confusion . . . use the menu BAR at the top of the monitor/screen and not the window which appears using System Preferences.

smirk