Existing users, log in.  New users, create a free account.  Lost password?

MacFixIt Logo

Contact Us | About MacFixIt | Who's Online  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#158197 - 12/29/03 12:39 PM Useful links
michael_romo Offline
MacAuthor

Loc: Symantec, Corp - LA, CA
Hi, everyone. There have been a few issues with the inline updaters (which are being addressed) and some other topics that we have touched upon over the past week and I wanted to give you a current list of the knowledge base that should be helpful regarding said issues. This post has been edited as several of the links concerned issues that have since been fixed by the subsequent releasese of the Norton AntiVirus 9.0.1 and Norton Utilities 8.0.1 updates, available via LiveUpdate.

For preventative advice:
Updating to Norton AntiVirus 9.0.1 or Norton Utilities 8.0.1 in Mac OS X 10.3 (code named Panther) -
this link has been removed -- please run LiveUpdate until you see that Norton AntiVirus has been updated to 9.0.1 and Norton Utilties has been updated to 8.0.1. You might have to run LiveUpdate twice (once to update the LiveUpdate engine, the other to get the patches).

Informative:
What is new in Norton Utilities for Macintosh 8.0.x after running LiveUpdate - -
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/num.nsf/docid/2003122211542011

What is new in Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh 9.0.x after running LiveUpdate - -
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/num.nsf/docid/2003121812310011

Existing docs that have been recently updated:
Symantec 2003-2004 product compatibility with Mac OS X 10.3 (code named Panther) -
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/num.nsf/docid/2003101513593311

Error: "The directory structures on disk <Macintosh HD> are too large for the current version of Norton Utilities" - http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/num.nsf/docid/2003062512423211

Error: Incorrect clump size found repeatedly by Norton Utilities 8.0 on Mac OS X 10.3.x hard disk - - http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/num.nsf/docid/2003120408591111

I hope this list is useful.

-mike

Edited by michael_romo (01/15/04 03:27 PM)
Symantec Corp

#158198 - 01/06/04 04:03 PM Re: Useful links [Re: michael_romo]
BradMacPro Offline
New User

On the 22 of Dec. 2003, the day the updates were released I requested a replacement SystemWorks 3.0 disk that was supoosed to become available. I have a G5 which cannot be booted from the CD in hand. I was informed via e-mail that the upgrade was not available and to check back. What's the ETA for a shipping date?

#158199 - 01/06/04 08:59 PM Re: Useful links [Re: michael_romo]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there Mike,
Former Symantec SSV here--wanted to say thanks for starting this forum. Look forward to seeing this forum provide users with some positive and timely feedback--plus perhaps to provide tips for ensuring a positive upgrade experience from both patched and major revisions of the Mac OS with regard to how it affects an end-user's experience with their Symantec product(s) for Macintosh.

Eric

#158200 - 01/07/04 02:39 AM Re: Useful links [Re: BradMacPro]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the links. I found several of them useful, particularly the one on the "invisible volumes" issue, a problem I have experienced with natural aggravation. Unfortunately, though it gave a Terminal solution for the problem, the article didn't explain exactly what the suggested line of UNIX code actually does. Not being a UNIX expert, I am reluctant to run something when I don't know at least approximately what it is doing to my system. Fixing a Norton bug is not enough of an explanation for my peace of mind.

An even more important issue in my opinion is why there is such a bug in Norton 8, even after the 8.0.1 update which was supposed to provide Panther compatibility. The average user is not likely to go hunting on Symantec's support site for answers like this, nor would he be comfortable using such a solution (involving Terminal) even if he did find it.

Symantec had a serious credibility problem even before this came up and they seem to be unable to grasp why their reputation is suffering so badly. Personally I think the quality control department (assuming they even have one) is losing the war with the marketing people who seem to think getting to market first, even with a flawed product, is the best way to do business. For my money, at least, they are wrong. I will be paying for no more Norton upgrades.

On a related note, Symantec just has too many products. They are trying to be everything to everyone. Not only has this product line expansion contributed to their quality problem, but it makes keeping track of which versions of which products in which software suites are necessary for which operating systems a real nightmare.

DiskWarrior 3 came out relatively late and TechTool Pro 4 later still, but they both have been fairly trouble free. In particular I have not had a single problem with the new TechTool. I do Mac maintenance for a living and have up till now used all three Programs. Norton is still fine for OS 9, but I will not be using it in OS X - not in Panther anyway.

#158201 - 01/07/04 05:47 AM Re: Useful links
BradMacPro Offline
New User

I'd have to disagree with WhiteDog. I didnt have the problem with Norton after the LiveUpdate to 8.0.1, but TechTool pro 4 unexpectedly quit repeatedly trying to examine/repair one of my drives from the installed copy. Many others reported the same. Norton fixed all problems. It still has my confidence as the best of the bunch, even with Panther. Just wish they would ship an updated CD for others with new Macs and only one hard drive

#158202 - 01/07/04 08:17 AM Re: Useful links [Re: BradMacPro]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been a staunch critic of Symantec's Norton products for Mac since... well, since NUM 3.5 and the demise of MacTools Deluxe. But lately, as long as I use Disk Warrior first, I've been safe and happy.

I had a lot of trouble with Disk Warrior 3 (but never with 2.1.1) on Blue G3's using SCSI disks and controllers, and on Beige.

I said in the past I would never upgrade again... well, never say "never." Just put in an order for NSW 3.0.

I understand the need to have a product out there. Some companies couldn't ship a good product before Apple fixed flaws in the IO filesystem (Panther returns SCSI RAIDs to the level of performance it should achieve, but that was a LONG time coming and foot tapping!).

I don't think anyone was ready or aware that the first G5s would already support SATA and hadn't planned or done any testing - and problems did crop up (still do I think).

Without the old Symantec Forums that were semi-open (lately they seemed pretty much closed - ask but don't see or find what others are asking or being told) I gave up - no public forum for support can be helpful or critical. The presence here is "a good thing."

#158203 - 01/08/04 10:17 AM Re: Useful links
michael_romo Offline
MacAuthor

Loc: Symantec, Corp - LA, CA
Hi, MadHatter--

Thanks for the post. Very looking forward to any feedback and suggestions you might have for SystemWorks 3.0.1. I am particularly interested in yours (and everyone's) opinion on our newest application, Volume Recover. This application supports Disk Doctor by giving the user the ability to create an new directory from a damaged/wonky volume, go through a "preview" version of the directory, and then write this new directory to disk. This may help when Disk Doctor, which is designed to fix problem directories, encounters a directory that should probably just be rebuilt and replaced.

Great to hear you are willing to give the applications a second look.

Best,
Mike
Symantec Corp

#158204 - 01/10/04 09:49 AM Re: Useful links [Re: michael_romo]
jlussow Offline
New User

Anybody else getting the end of file error in Disk Doctor on a G5? Disk Doctor cannot scan any attached disks on the G5 (firewire, SCSI or internal SATA drives). All scans on these drives end with the error right after the scan begins. Is it just me?

#158205 - 01/12/04 11:58 AM Re: Useful links [Re: michael_romo]
osxzilla Offline

Thanks for the post. However, Symantec appears to have rearranged some pages. Specifically, I'm looking for help with "Disks not appearing after upgrading to 8.0.1" in Disk Doctor, etc.

Currently, clicking on your link brings up:

"We're Sorry ...

An error has occurred in the Symantec Knowledge Base.

This error will occur if you try to open a document for a discontinued product.

For discontinued enterprise products, click here.

For discontinued consumer products, click here."

Thanks for any help you can offer!

#158206 - 01/12/04 01:59 PM Re: Useful links [Re: osxzilla]
osxzilla Offline

OK, being the impatient guy that I am, I went looking for the answer, and found it: Tech Support for Macs

However, I did as it suggested, but still no disks showed. I ran the Uninstaller, re-installed, updated twice--still nothing. I ran the Uninstaller again, but this time, I manually searched for "norton" anywhere on my drive. Lo and behold, there were many items left behind.

So I trashed 'em all, emptied the trash, rebooted, and ran the Installer, updated twice, and bingo...there's my hard drive. (all without having to go to the Terminal and do that sudo touch thingy.)

That was *way* harder than it needed to be...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

VersionTracker: Software Updates and Downloads | iPhone Atlas: iPhone Help, News, Tutorials, and Tips