Existing users, log in.  New users, create a free account.  Lost password?

MacFixIt Logo

Contact Us | About MacFixIt | Who's Online  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#225904 - 09/09/04 04:31 AM Porting _everything_ from G3 to G5 iMac
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi.

My G3 iMac is now functioning exactly as I want it to. Loaded with all sorts of 3rd-party goodies.

What I want to do is: copy the entire EVERYTHING - including system - from the G3 to the new iMac G5, which should be coming any day now. (I want to replace whatever's on the G5 HD with everything on the G3 HD.)

I've ordered the crossover cable, so I'll theoretically have everything I'll need.

My question:

I hook up the two computers. Then what do I do?

Thanks.

#225905 - 09/09/04 10:04 AM Re: Porting _everything_ from G3 to G5 iMac
cdesign@airmail.net Offline
New User

You probably won't even need the crossover cable. Apple's new 'Welcome to Mac' applet that runs when you first turn on a machiine now has an option to allow you to migrate all of your data from a previous Mac -- as long as that Mac has a Firewire port. Your G3 iMac probably does.

So... when you first boot up your G5 iMac, the Welcome applet will give you an option to connect the two machines together using what Apple calls 'Firewire Target Disk Mode.' After you choose this option, the Welcome applet pauses to let you boot the second machine in target disk mode. To do this, you simply power on the second machine (the G3 iMac in this case) and immediately hold down the 'T' key. Instead of booting up to the login screen or Finder, the machine boots into target disk mode which is indicated by a giant, moving Firewire symbol that floats across the screen. As soon as the Firewire symbol appears, you can let go of the 'T' key and connect the two machines together with a 6-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable. Within a few seconds, the Welcome applet on the new machine (the G5 iMac in this case) will recognize the presence of a new Firewire hard drive and allow you to continue. The applet then presents a dialog that allows you to decide what to copy over and what not to (i.e. Users, Applications, Utilities, etc.)

I have used this while upgrading two machines. Everything copied over just fine. It really makes the migration process a snap.

Hope this helps.

#225906 - 09/09/04 10:33 AM Re: Porting _everything_ from G3 to G5 iMac [Re: cdesign@airmail.net]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks.

When I ordered the G5, I got the impression the FireWire cable would be a lot more expensive than the crossover cable, and, since I wasn't aware of the option you've described, I ordered the latter.

So I still need to know how to use the crossover-cable method. Will the same applet work with that? (Probably not. It sounds too simple.)

rm

#225907 - 09/10/04 12:20 AM Re: Porting _everything_ from G3 to G5 iMac
macgeneral Offline
Mac User

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Hello Raymond,

Let's get you going the way you wanna go.

You'll be using file sharing. Plan a small vacation from the time you start till the time it will finish. A long coffee break might also work. In fact, if you work a standard 9-5, do it before you leave the house.

One problem you might have is that you've opted with the ethernet cross cable to merely move data. So that means there might be licensing or other necessary application components not in their proper place. It's going to require quite a bit of labor I'd think. Then there's the potential for permissions issues. You're going to move data from the G3 (assuming you are running an OS X build though you don't really say fer sure) and it's going to all be "branded" or "married" to the permission settings from the G3. Then you'll ask it to play nicely on the G5 without an intervention.

But, that's not what you're asking, is it. You just wanna know HOW to get it from the shanty to the mansion.

Connect the cross cable between the two Mac using the ethernet ports on each.
Please start the G5 first. Fire up the G3 after connecting the cable AND doing the following on the G5:

System Preferences | Sharing | Services

check the Personal File Sharing check box and file sharing should start up on it's on right after...
Note the START button turns to STOP and it reads just above it "Personal File Sharing On".
Make sure you have a computer name in the upper portion of the Sharing preference pane.
Note that once Fiel Sharing is fired up, at thebottom of the preference pane there's some help

"Other Macintosh users cab access your computer at afp://xxx.xxx.xx.xxx/ ....

Start up the G3.
If it's running OS X (and again I'm peeved at you for not stating) in the Finder click the Go menu and drop to Connect to Server. In the server address area insert the afp://address and you should be able to mount the other drive or at least soem folders from it this way. You may need to authenticate with username and password set in the G5 so keep it fresh in mind.

Hope this helps you brother.

MacGee

#225908 - 09/10/04 07:39 AM Re: Porting _everything_ from G3 to G5 iMac [Re: macgeneral]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't be peeved!

--------------–

Machine Model: iMac
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (83.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 500 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 384 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.1.9f1

System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.5 (7M34)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.5.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD

--------------–

Thank you for your help.

After reading your post, I called Tech Support in the UK, and she told me, in a strong NI accent, that what I want to do probably won't work. Then I went to a local Apple dealer (poor guy didn't get the sale - because I'm "education" - but he gets the grief), and he told me I should get Clone'X, which "is specially designed to create a copy of your system, to duplicate it on other disks or computers, and to repair and reinstall the system in case of problems" and do everything with FireWire, since that's infinitely quicker.

So we shall see.

What the heck.

Anyway, thanks much. And sorry I got you peeved.

Edited by Raymond3 (09/12/04 08:42 AM)

#225909 - 09/10/04 06:08 PM Re: Porting _everything_ from G3 to G5 iMac
crarko Offline
MacWizard

Loc: Minnesota, USA
You'd be wise to go invest the few bucks on the FireWire cable. You're really attempting to do this the hard way, and that's why people are telling you the probability of success is lower than you'd like to hear.

Also, attempting to clone the entire system (as opposed to data and some applications, including all of your OS 9 stuff) may well fail, since the version of the OS on the iMac G5 could easily have hardware support files that you may not have on the older system, even if it is running 10.3.5.

Good luck.
WARNING: This Product Attracts Every Other Object in the Universe, including the Products of Other Manufacturers, with a Force Proportional to the Product of the Masses Divided by the Square of the Distance Between Them.

#225910 - 09/10/04 11:03 PM Re: Porting _everything_ from G3 to G5 iMac [Re: crarko]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm going with the FireWire option. I hope the Apple Store can cancel the crossover cable without putting me at the back of the queue again (the way they did when I changed my order to include BlueTooth).

In reply to:

(as opposed to data and some applications, including all of your OS 9 stuff)

A glimmer of hope? Does that mean that with FireWire I'll be able to get all my OS 9 stuff?

YAY!

Thanks much for the advice.

r

#225911 - 09/11/04 05:59 AM Re: Porting _everything_ from G3 to G5 iMac
crarko Offline
MacWizard

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Yeah, you just mount the old machine (in FireWire Target Disk mode) as an external drive and copy the OS 9 System Folder and Applications (Mac OS 9) folder. That's easy.

The setup assistant should guide you through transferring your OS X user account and data just fine, otherwise. And should explain how to do FireWire Target Disk mode.
WARNING: This Product Attracts Every Other Object in the Universe, including the Products of Other Manufacturers, with a Force Proportional to the Product of the Masses Divided by the Square of the Distance Between Them.

#225912 - 10/05/04 11:18 AM Re: Porting _everything_ from G3 to G5 iMac [Re: crarko]
Anonymous
Unregistered

It might be too late (I hope you got your G5 by now...lucky), but Carbon Copy Cloner is very useful for what you are trying to do. It is Donationware, so make a donation if it helps.

#225913 - 10/05/04 04:24 PM Re: Porting _everything_ from G3 to G5 iMac
tacit Offline
MacGuru

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
*** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING

An iMac G3 system will not run an iMac G5! The iMac G5 uses a special build of MacOS 10.3 that will boot that model computer and only that model of computer. You absolutely WILL NOT be able to boot an iMac G5 using a system copied from any other model of computer.

If you overwrite the system on an iMac G5 with a system from an earlier computer model, the iMac G5 will not boot.

Edited by tacit (10/05/04 04:25 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  alternaut, MacManiac 

VersionTracker: Software Updates and Downloads | iPhone Atlas: iPhone Help, News, Tutorials, and Tips