Existing users, log in.  New users, create a free account.  Lost password?

MacFixIt Logo

Contact Us | About MacFixIt | Who's Online  

Topic Options
#232015 - 10/12/04 10:35 AM Trackpad: Cursor jumps wildly while typing
Martha2000 Offline
Mac User

17" G4 PB OS 10.3

The "Ignore Trackpad while typing" option is selected but does not seem to help. My cursor jumps all over when I type in Word and Entourage. Emails often get sent and Entourage will shut down without intentional input. I'm supposing it's accidental input from the Trackpad.

I'm as careful as I reasonably can be about keeping my thumbs away from the Trackpad while typing. Has anyone found solutions for OS X? I read in an old thread about this issue that some think static electricity or moisture levels contribute for flakey Trackpad behavior. One person suggested checking the wiring inside. Another person mentioned an OS 9.X control panel, TapGuard, and suggested finding something similar for OS X.

Does anyone know of a TapGuard-like OS X utility that might help?
Does anyone have definitive information about Trackpads causing jumpy cursors at this time?

Thanks, M2K

#232016 - 10/12/04 04:15 PM Re: Trackpad: Cursor jumps wildly while typing [Re: Martha2000]
Virtual1 Offline
MacGuru

Loc: Middle 'o Nowhere
The "ignore accidental trackpad input" and "ignore trackpad while typing" don't seem to be completely effective.

I've had issues in the past with having the mouse jump around, and it was almost always attributed to my brushing the trackpad with the inside heel of one of my hands. Some trackpads are more sensitive than others too, and can actually track your hand movements when they're just above the trackpad, not touching it. This seems to be more of a problem when the humidity or temperature are higher. My wallstreet's trackpad was sensitive enough that I could operate it through a *telephone book*. (I kid you not... freaked us out when we tested it... paper, magazine, cardboard, the back of a clipboard, and finally a 1" telephone book) It's not tracking on pressure as the clipboard back test verified - I'm fairly sure it's tracking body capacitance.

Anyway, Besides changing your hand position on the keyboard, I can't really suggest any good solutions besides turning off the trackpad completely and using an external mouse. There are some nice mini bluetooth mice around, if your computer has built-in BT.

#232017 - 10/13/04 05:26 AM Re: Trackpad: Cursor jumps wildly while typing [Re: Virtual1]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had the same frustrating problem with both of my laptops: 500MHz snow iBook, and 15" 1GHz Al Powerbook, both running the latest flavor of 10.3. The only solution I've found is to use an external mouse (corded or bluetooth). Any time I work without the external mouse the cursor jumps all over the place while typing.

#232018 - 10/13/04 05:23 PM Re: Trackpad: Cursor jumps wildly while typing [Re: Martha2000]
feipor Offline
New User

Relieved to hear someone else has this problem. My Powerbook was doing fine until recently and then it seems like a poltergeist has taken over. Some messages in Mail get moved into Trash when browsing my Inbox, or I find myself typing into the middle of existing text.

In Addressbook the curso freezes or gets ahead of itself (or should I say me).

Any help would be appreciated!

#232019 - 02/08/05 02:24 PM Re: Trackpad: Cursor jumps wildly while typing [Re: Martha2000]
DeRerum Offline
MacWriter

Happened on this old thread by way of something called "Macfixit Forum Hot Topics" on the MFI homepage. Clearly, somebody's gotten behind, behind, behind! Nevertheless, nobody appears to have mentioned my personal best fix.

Had the same trouble with my G3 powerbook. After awhile, oils from your fingers (or your french fries) build up on the trackpad which gets squirrely and supersensitive. I spruced mine up with the same oil-free, wax-free cleaner I use for my screen, and haven't had a problem since.

#232020 - 02/08/05 04:50 PM Re: Trackpad: Cursor jumps wildly while typing [Re: DeRerum]
dkmarsh Offline

Loc: SE PA
Clearly, somebody's gotten behind, behind, behind!

Au contraire! This was but a manifestation of MFI prescientists anticipating your post.

dkmarshmacfixit forums moderator

For Macintosh troubleshooting help in the MacFixIt Forums tradition, please visit Fine Tuned Mac.

#232021 - 02/14/05 02:54 PM Re: Trackpad: Cursor jumps wildly while typing [Re: dkmarsh]
DeRerum Offline
MacWriter

Afraid I have to number myself among the behindest!

Moderator:  joemikeb, MacManiac 

VersionTracker: Software Updates and Downloads | iPhone Atlas: iPhone Help, News, Tutorials, and Tips