Existing users, log in.  New users, create a free account.  Lost password?

MacFixIt Logo

Contact Us | About MacFixIt | Who's Online  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#232084 - 10/12/04 03:46 PM Cherry OS - who'll be the first?
crarko Offline
MacWizard

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Here's a descriptive article, the actual company site is currently Slashdotted so it's impossible to get any useful info at the moment.

Anyway, this claims to be a full Macintosh G4 emulator on Intel running Panther at 80% of the host speed. For $50.

I'm kinda skeptical. Sounds like a repackaging of PearPC, which at last report was running somewhere around 3% of the host speed. However, if anyone tries it and wants to report on it, there's probably a willing audience.
WARNING: This Product Attracts Every Other Object in the Universe, including the Products of Other Manufacturers, with a Force Proportional to the Product of the Masses Divided by the Square of the Distance Between Them.

#232085 - 10/12/04 06:45 PM Re: Cherry OS - who'll be the first? [Re: crarko]
donikatz Offline
Keeper Of The Magic Nickel

Loc: Gotham
I was able to check out the site earlier. Looks completely bogus. Half the links didn't work & there was no real info.

#232086 - 10/12/04 06:51 PM Re: Cherry OS - who'll be the first? [Re: donikatz]
MicroMat Tech3 Offline
MacGuru

There must be something wrong with the html emulator.

#232087 - 10/13/04 06:08 AM The plot thickens... [Re: MicroMat Tech3]
crarko Offline
MacWizard

An interview with the creator of CherryOS. He claims it has nothing to do with PearPC.

The cherryos.com site is available again. They're setting up a discussion forum, although it still doesn't appear a person can actually get a copy of this product yet. They say they are working on a trial version. That would be good.
WARNING: This Product Attracts Every Other Object in the Universe, including the Products of Other Manufacturers, with a Force Proportional to the Product of the Masses Divided by the Square of the Distance Between Them.

#232088 - 10/13/04 07:47 AM Re: The plot thickens... [Re: crarko]
donikatz Offline

don't hold you breath...

#232089 - 10/13/04 09:02 AM Re: The plot thickens... [Re: donikatz]
crarko Offline
MacWizard

I rarely do these days...

#232090 - 10/13/04 11:22 AM Re: The plot thickens... [Re: crarko]
crarko Offline
MacWizard

Apologies to MFIF for a link to a competing forum, but this appears to be the most likely explanation of what's happening: they're pushing this story to stress-test their streaming video server software, which is the actual product.

Hosers.

#232091 - 10/13/04 12:17 PM Re: The plot thickens... [Re: crarko]
donikatz Offline

shocking!

#232092 - 10/14/04 09:35 AM Re: The plot thickens... [Re: donikatz]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll bet CherryOS hits the shelves long before TypeStyler III for OSX ever does ;-)

I have no doubt there is such a product...however the speed claims for 80 percent ring kind of hollow.

#232093 - 10/14/04 10:46 AM Re: The plot thickens...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hard to believe any of this. The initial report sounded bogus that I never thought it was real (80%? Full hardware support, including the CPU and RAM? And how would access to an x86 CPU be helpful to software written to the PowerPC processor?). Now they've changed their tune (its now in beta, and their working out bugs, which is a lot different then the initial web site).

Generally, its not worth your time to concern yourself with it. Especially since I think COS will be out well before this thing...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

VersionTracker: Software Updates and Downloads | iPhone Atlas: iPhone Help, News, Tutorials, and Tips